07 April 2011

Why is the patient a patient?

The answer to the question in the title of this post is almost always very evident as soon as one sees the patient. He or she is sick and needs help to cope with the sickness or illness and get on with life.

There could be other reasons as well: fear of suffering, seeking relief in a manner better than what is being offered now (second opinion), seeking reassurance and so on. Almost always there is a child like need that has to be addressed by the doctor when seeing a patient.

In being a patient, it is assumed by the doctor that the patient is not there to increase her suffering. It is also inconceivable that the patient has any malicious intent in presenting to the doctor.

An exception to such a generalization is any work-related health issue: here there is some psychological game playing going on,sometimes subconsciously. I have rarely seen any malicious intent in a domestic setting.

Sometime back a lady in her mid forties started consulting me
for her joint pains. She is a home-maker and the pivot of her home life. Her children and her husband depend upon her resources and her availability. The husband works in a corporate setting, while the children are talented and are upcoming stars in their own fields in the extra-curricular activities. For long years now this mother has been ferrying her children for their respective activities while at the same time looking after her extended family on both sides. In my opinion her family looked to be a  well bonded one with each member being supportive of the other. I have never seen the lady present with her complains without being accompanied by someone from her family.

From the follow-up sessions in her case, I could see that her arthritis was progressing slowly and there was no need for concern if she could just comply with the instructions for care and physical therapy.

At one point in her later follow-ups she asked me if her incessant ferrying of her children for their extra-curricular activities could be the cause of her arthritis. On that visit she was accompanied by her younger son who was in his mid teens. As is the standard practice, I pointed out that arthritis is affected by more than one factor. However, I added that if she could take care of  avoiding unnecessary stair climbing and walking on uneven surfaces, she would be better off. On hearing this she turned to her son and in a tone laced with sarcasm said, "atleast now understand something". I was exasperated. This lady had used my well meaning advice as a tool against her son. I felt being used for a lowly purpose against my wishes and without my consent. I felt like asking her to leave right away.

As these thoughts of anger toward the lady were going in my mind, from the corner of my eye I spotted her son teary eyed with his head hanging over his chest. I called for him, but his choked voice would not let him speak. It was important that this tender young mind go out with some reassurance and some solace. I told him that it was now possible for  him to do his own ferrying as he had strong enough muscles to carry him wherever he wanted to go. He could look forward to his own activities in complete freedom and yet be free of the worry that his mother's arthritis would worsen anytime soon. He forced a weak smile on his face and the two of them walked out of my room in silence.

Sometimes the reason a patient is a patient is that there is a payoff in being one. You get to bully others around you. Heaven help these people and their families. Also, heaven may be requested to be a little more favourable to the doctor in the case!

No comments:

Post a Comment