18 September 2012

In a Manner of Speaking.

If you get the inflection of an "alright" right then you can tell whether the NRI speaking to you is a product of a Gujarati family from Idi Amin's Kenya or she is an immigrant with roots in Saurashtra. What one speaks shows where one comes from. However some chirps are more ominous as can be seen from the following -harmless-in-after-thought- communication. But at the time it transpired, it shocked me.


The early part of my career was in a moffusil place with the sophistication of language evident in it's absence. One day a well built short statured young man, who introduced himeself as "Rajjubhai", was brought to me for management of injuries sustained due to a vehicular accident. Things went well for him and soon he was ready to be sent home. Rajjubhai sent a message that he wanted to meet me, through Govind, my compounder. This Govind was a local chap who had given up herding his few cows to make a career in the health care industry! He was very much in touch with the ground realities of the place.

Govind ushered Rajjubhai into my office,helping him settle into a chair opposite me. No sooner had he taken his seat, Rajjubhai said,
"Doctor, if there is ever any one who throws you down from the third floor of a building, believe me, I will be there to catch you on the ground."

I must have looked quite flustered because Govind immediately piped in,
"Sir, he means that you can call him if anyone ever threatens you. He feels grateful to you that you have helped him recover in such a short time."

I returned a courteous smile to Rajjubhai and saw him out.

The moment he exited the door, I asked Govind as to just who was this Rajjubhai. Now Govind had his moment of glory, for he volunteered,
"Sir, you dont know? Rajjubhai is the most feared don of this town."

Apparently I must have missed that point as also the fact that there were no civil structures higher than three storeys- thankfully.




1 comment:

austere said...

hilarious! you have quite a fan following. :)

Post a Comment